Keeping Mission Going Strong
Story by V. Michelle Bernard
For the first time in many years, the Columbia Union Conference experienced a drop in tithe, reported Treasurer Emmanuel Asiedu. Tithe was down 5.40 percent (approximately $1.6 million) from January to March, compared to last year.
Despite this drop, Asiedu says he has been impressed with members’ generosity during this hard time. “Their giving was more than my expectation, given the COVID-19 crisis and overall financial crisis we are experiencing,” he added.
Asiedu noted that he would still like to thank God, even though there is a loss and added that the union had also seen savings in other areas—including canceled events like a Human Resources conference, the North American Division Ministerium, the General Conference Session and other travel due to the coronavirus. The union also continues to operate with a 146 percent working capital, but will not implement the 1.6 percent cost-of-living increase for employees this year.
President Dave Weigley added, “We at the union are strong, so we can assist our conferences. … We depend on these funds to keep mission going strong.”
Read Other Stories From the Executive Committee Meeting
- Columbia Union Honors Dan Jackson
- Education Extends Accreditations, Contracts
- Executive Committee Discusses Coronavirus Impact on Church
- Executive Committee Members Urge Caution and Compassion
- Keeping Mission Going Strong
Related Articles and Resources
- 5 Ways Columbia Union Members are Creating Community
- Adventists Adjust to Social Distancing--The New Normal
- Adventist Community Services of Greater Washington to Distribute Diapers
- Adventist Leaders Discuss Options for Upcoming General Conference Session
- Andrews University Transitions to Distance Education
- Blue Mountain Academy Student Ministers While Distance Learning
- Columbia Union Conference Pathfinder Bible Exchange Postponed
- Columbia Union Designates Special Day of Prayer, Sabbath March 28
- Drive-By 'Parade of Compassion' Connects Community
- Doctors Declare New Jersey Adventist Patient a Miracle
- Estimada familia de la Unión de Columbia
- Help Maryland Families During Coronavirus Shutdown
- How is COVID-19 Impacting Columbia Union Business Owners?
- How to Give Tithes and Offerings Online
- How to Help During the Coronavirus Outbreak
- How to Help Your Church Go Digital (Lots of resources)
- How to Support Older Adults
- Information Regarding COVID-19 from Adventist Risk Management
- Maryland Nurse Shares How Frontline Workers Provide More Than Just Medical Care
- Mount Olivet Members Answer Call to Service
- NAD Administration Provides Guidance for Church in North America During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Tips for Your Behavioral Health During an Infectious Disease Outbreak
- Visitor Team to host Conversation Series on Impact of Covid-19
- Watch Visitor News Live Episodes
- Where God Wants Me to Be
- WGTS 91.9 Launches "Hope-Filled Fridays Campaign"
- World Church Executive Committee Votes to Postpone General Conference Session