January 2, 2021: Light in the Darkness
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Ps. 119:105, NKJV).
Friday was almost over. Our Pathfinder club had settled in a beautiful open field close to a stream with just a few feet of forest between our camp and the creek.
My friend and I volunteered to get water for the evening’s activities. But soon the sun started to set, and the forest got dark fast. By the time we filled our buckets, the forest was pitch black.
Without flashlights, the darkness felt like a wall. We started our walk to camp, taking small, timid steps together. The sound of the creek diminished, but, after walking for a couple of minutes, we heard a waterfall. With each step we took, the waterfall got louder and louder.
In the distance, we saw a little flicker and started walking toward the little light. More lights joined, and, as the sound of the waterfall faded away, we heard the Pathfinders’ voices screaming out our names. Once we had light, we could see the way.
Without God’s Word, we are in darkness, hopeless and in danger. We look for safety, but darkness impedes us from finding the way to Life. But, when we use God’s Word, light shines on our path, and we find the safety that only Jesus can give.
As Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14:6, NKJV).
Lord, please fill our hearts and minds with God’s Word, and may Your light shine on our path each day. Amen.
Eli Rojas is the ministerial secretary for the Chesapeake Conference.
- January 1: Put God First
- January 2: Light in the Darkness
- January 3: Live by Faith
- January 4: Prisoners of Praise
- January 5: Pushing Back Against Spiritual Distancing
- January 6: The Phone Call
- January 7: Just Ask
- January 8: Find Home
- January 9: Joy is a Promise
- January 10: Just the Boost I Needed
Join the Journey
To help you dig deeper into God’s Holy Word this year, we’re offering:
- Every Day—Read our Words of Life daily devotional book that features favorite Bible verses from members, pastors, students and leaders from across the Columbia Union. You can also read the devotionals on the Columbia Union app, and interact with the verses in our instagram stories.
- Every Week—Delivered straight to your email, read our e-newsletter by subscribing to Visitor News Bulletin at columbiaunionvisitor.com/vnb. Keep up with the latest Year of the Bible events, devotionals, videos and more.
- Every Month—This calendar, themed “Words of Life,” coincides with the devotional book and videos. It features a biblical topic and verse each month, with additional passages for further exploration, study and ideas on how to apply the concepts in your daily life.