January 8, 2021: Find Home
“Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28, KJV).
The eastern box turtle is one of the most widely known turtles in West Virginia. When my kids were growing up, they caught them year after year. We have found turtles on woodland trails and even rescued them from the middle of the road countless times, bringing them home to be the family pet for a few days before releasing them again.
Two winters ago, we attended an indoor wildlife camp, sponsored by our local state park, and we learned a lot of fascinating things about our little turtle friends. One thing was that these turtles will live in the same area their entire lives. They are also born with a type of internal homing device that, if they are moved, helps them to find their way back home. These turtles will spend the rest of their lives searching restlessly for the place they were born until they either find it or die of exhaustion.
I relate this to a person’s life before they find Christ. They are always searching for something, knowing something in their lives is lacking or missing. They are tired and burdened with the world’s cares until they find their home in Christ. It is then they can take off their shoes, lean back, relax and enjoy the rest only the Savior can provide.
Dear God, let us find our rest in You. Allow Your lovingkindness to wash over us like a flood, so that we may rest in the peace only You can give. Amen.
Rebecca Trent is a member of the Grace Outreach church in West Virginia.
- January 1: Put God First
- January 2: Light in the Darkness
- January 3: Live by Faith
- January 4: Prisoners of Praise
- January 5: Pushing Back Against Spiritual Distancing
- January 6: The Phone Call
- January 7: Just Ask
- January 8: Find Home
- January 9: Joy is a Promise
- January 10: Just the Boost I Needed
Join the Journey
To help you dig deeper into God’s Holy Word this year, we’re offering:
- Every Day—Read our Words of Life daily devotional book that features favorite Bible verses from members, pastors, students and leaders from across the Columbia Union. You can also read the devotionals on the Columbia Union app, and interact with the verses in our instagram stories.
- Every Week—Delivered straight to your email, read our e-newsletter by subscribing to Visitor News Bulletin at columbiaunionvisitor.com/vnb. Keep up with the latest Year of the Bible events, devotionals, videos and more.
- Every Month—This calendar, themed “Words of Life,” coincides with the devotional book and videos. It features a biblical topic and verse each month, with additional passages for further exploration, study and ideas on how to apply the concepts in your daily life.